Welcome back to This is India! I always have funny/weird stories about India to share with friends or family when I talk to them. This is just meant to be an honest portrayal about my life in India through short anecdotes. I also share here what I’ve been up to online outside Hippie in Heels.
What I was up to other than here:
- I’ve been back in Goa this week after the whirlwind that was England and Austria. We had so much fun and didn’t work a bit so it’s hard to go back to our computers… this week was lots of work because today I leave for the goMowgli tour, so I needed to have everything scheduled to go out while I was on the tour!
- I am SO excited for the upcoming 8 days with goMowgli and meeting some of the awesome girls who signed up… stay in the loop on my Instagram @hippieinheelsblog
- In blogging news, Travelnuity was nice enough to call me one of their favorite 10 bloggers & I contributed along with some other “experts” on India travel to this article written by Anna who is on the goMowgli tour with me: Top Female Bloggers Reveal Why they Love Traveling in India.
Now your story,
I fly a LOT.. and I often am flying within India or into & out of India. There’s something about flying here that drives me freakin’ nuts.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but whenever I talk about Indians cutting in line or being a bit pushy, Indians have commented it’s true and it’s because of years of needing to be first or you get nothing. They are just engrained to be like this. I KNOW it’s just the way things are and I’m totally cool with fighting someone over a nice carrot in the market or bumping my shopping cart into a guy who’s trying to cut to secure my spot. I know how to play the game, and I don’t get as mad anymore… except when I fly.
I guess I feel like when I’m flying, especially Internationally, people will be like “wow we paid a lot for these tickets, lets be good, follow the rules…” but I’ve seen people who somehow got cigs past security, light up on a plane. The rules don’t matter ;)
There are two things that kill me.
1) Disrespect to flight attendants. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say no, ignore, or laugh at an attendant when she tells them to turn off their phone. What!! It makes me wonder if flight attendants are considered like “staff” to take care of them, and therefore aren’t respected as much? Whereas in the US at least, it’s a nice job and actually quite coveted.
2) You have to stay seated until done taxi-ing. We are ALL getting off the plane. In fact, once we’re off we have to wait for everyone else to get on the little bus to take us to the entry of the airport most times. But, there is always that ONE guy who is like I’m gonna get my bag now (obvi so he has it and can just stand up right away and be in the aisle ready to depart, because that in itsself is a race) and not listen to any rules. The flight attendants are on top of it though. “Sir! You have to sit! No! Put it back!” It’s funny, but I feel bad for them because they know, there is always going to be that one guy. Who is this guy, and why does he feel above the rules?! I think I’m going to ask him next time.
This is India!
Did you enjoy this post? Let me know in the comments or by sharing it with the social media links! I’d love to keep giving you travel tricks & tips so feel free to subscribe by e-mail in the big purple box below. Don’t forget you can follow me on facebook, twitter, instagram & bloglovin‘.
Join my email list and get exclusive updates & news straight to your inbox.
I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.