Welcome back to This is India! I always have funny/weird stories about India to share with friends or family when I talk to them. This is just meant to be an honest portrayal about my life in India through short anecdotes. I also share here what I’ve been up to online outside Hippie in Heels.

What I was up to other than here:

  • I did an interview on Glamourous Traveler about fashion & travel
  • I’m up to something secret this week. I’ll give you a hint… you might see me on tv for few minutes ;) Say a little prayer that I don’t have an anxiety attack this weekend over it!
  • I am also losing complete motivation to learn Hindi. Everyone speaks English so I have no one to practice with!

Now your story,

It hit me out of nowhere- I wasn’t even sure what happened but I had been pushed to the ground and my housekeeper was at my side helping me back up. I started to cry and said like a super proper girl would, “what the fuck was that!!?”

Now, I’m no electrician… but from what I gather… it’s NOT advisable to place your thumb directly on the metal of an exposed plug.

Our lamp was plugged in, but the plastic bits on the plug had fallen off (cheap ass lamp plug…) and it was two little pieces of metal exposed. I tried to unplug it and pushed my thumb right onto the metal.

While American voltage is about 120, Indian voltage is a staggering 230.

So, yeah I got blown back. My thumb had a huge electrical burn and I couldn’t feel my hand for an hour.

This really has more to do with a blonde moment than India, but hey at least you learned an important lesson about voltage- imagine what it can do to your electronics! Here’s to hoping I don’t get electrocuted in India again.

This is India!


Did you enjoy this post? Let me know in the comments or by sharing it with the social media links! I’d love to keep giving you travel tricks & tips so feel free to subscribe by e-mail in the big purple box below. Don’t forget you can follow me on facebooktwitterinstagram & bloglovin‘.