India is a fantastic place to visit for yoga teacher training (YTT) courses, and often they are less expensive here than in the USA or Europe with even better teachers who know what “true yoga” is. Yoga originates in India and has been around since 5000 BC, so if you’re going to learn how to teach yoga, coming here to learn is your best bet for success. When you search for a yoga teacher training course in India, you’ll find there are A LOT to sift through, and it can seem like a headache to try to choose. So, I decided to write this post with the best of the best yoga ashrams in India that offer yoga teacher training courses.
India, in general, is a great place to take courses that will allow you to earn your own income abroad and be your own boss. I myself took a massage course which I did as a job until my blog earned money. If you’re great at yoga and thinking about becoming a teacher, then consider a course in India; it could change your life. Think about how you could travel and do retreats around the world! I have many friends who are yoga teachers, one who got certified here in Goa, and they all lead such interesting and travel-centric lives!
Yoga teacher training in Rishikesh and Goa are the most popular options. Goa is the land of hippies from back in the day and Rishikesh is where the Beatles’ chilled out at an ashram, making these two places notorious. Hence, most of the best ashrams to take a yoga teacher training course in India are in Rishikesh and Goa.
You can search for more on this website or this one. Both are the same brand and are the best of the best for searching and comparing yoga courses. You can search by budget, location, type of yoga, and more. When you click over, you can see more about the teachers, the course, and even the full daily schedule.
Which Yoga Teacher Training Course in India is Best for You?
1. Ashiyana Yoga Teacher Training, Goa $3,350
This is a 28 day, 200-hour course. Ashiyana is just absolutely stunning and if I were going to learn to teach yoga, THIS is where I’d do it. You’ll stay in amazing rooms in an old Portuguese house or in beach huts near the sea, in the jungle. Here, they focus on finding well-being and inner peace and their training inspired by Satyananda, their spiritual master. According to them, “The course will be framed around the four main paths of yoga – Jnana, Karma, Bhakti, and Hatha (Raja). There will be a thorough examination of the traditional and most common interpretation of yoga according to Patanjali’s eight limbs of Raja Yoga.”
- Daily yoga classes
- Yoga material and instrument
- Yoga Alliance UK Registered certificate
- Full accommodation during program
- 2 minutes walk to the beach
- Local fresh, delicious meals
2. Purple Valley Yoga Teacher Training, Goa $3113
This is a 28 day course, 24 with instruction. They have world-renowned teachers come here. It’s located in a magical part of Goa, the jungles of Assagao (just a 10-minute drive from the beach). This course has been featured in magazines and websites as one of the best and I’ve been here myself. It’s beautiful. In regards to certification, here is what they say: “It is important to learn Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga from a trained teacher who follows the traditional lineage of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. Please note that only the Krishna Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Institute can grant you an official authorization or certification to teach Ashtanga yoga.” The instructor is Joey Miles who has an extensive amount of expertise in Ashtanga.
- Ashtanga yoga sessions
- Hands-on asana adjustments
- Chanting, meditation, and pranayama classes
- Deepen your practice with two weekly guided retreat days
- Intensive study days four times per week
- Enjoy a weekly full day of rest
- 27 nights accommodation
- Daily vegetarian meals
3. World Peace Yoga School, Rishikesh $1396
Here you can take a 200-hour, 28-day yoga teacher training course right next to the Ganges River. This isn’t a luxurious one and you’ll be a basic shared-room guesthouse but the price matches and if you’re on a budget with not a lot to invest, this is going to be a great option for you. They say “the course deals with in depth knowledge on Hatha, Ashtanga, and Kundalini yoga postures, along with meditation yoga philosophy, Ayurveda, naturopathy, and spiritual techniques.” Yogi Vishnu, the creator of the course, will come for a fire ceremony on the first night.
- Certificate affiliated with Yoga Alliance
- Weekend excursions
- Every Saturday kirtan night
- One the Himalayas sightseeing trip
- Daily nutritious vegetarian meals, detox juices and teas
- Free taxi-pickup from (DED) Dehradun airport
- 27 nights shared accommodation
- A free ayurvedic massage
- Yoga materia
4. Rishikul Yogshala, Rishikesh $1746
This is a 30 day, 300-hour course. Like the above, it’s a budget option and considering this is 100 more hours, it is quite a steal. This is a level two course for intermediate students and above; “The course is accredited by with Yoga Alliance and is open to any students who want to be confident yoga masters”. They also offer this 200-hour course.
- Nasal wash pot
- 1 rafting trip
- 1 t-shirt for yoga class
- 2 yoga books for self-study
- Yoga YTT manuals and materials
- Comprehensive and detailed curriculum
- Detailed teaching on communication skills for teaching
- Detailed teaching on meditation, pranayama, asanas, mudras, sadhana, and mantras
- Weekly group discussion aimed to develop your critical skills
- Weekend social, cultural, and recreational activities
- Outdoor yoga practice and meditation
- 1 Himalaya sight-seeing tour
- 3 vegetarian meals per day
- 300hr YTT certificate
- 3 teas per day
Join my email list and get exclusive updates & news straight to your inbox.
I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.