In one month I was in Asia, Middle East, Europe, and Africa. That’s a lot to pack all in one rolling suitcase especially since I didn’t want to take a large one, and decided on a medium. Add in blogging gear, and I’m pretty limited on space/weight allowance. Here is my itemized list for packing for various regions of long-term travel in one suitcase which is what I did on my most recent trip.
Packing for Various Regions of Long-term Travel in One Suitcase
I started packing thinking of where I’d be first: Israel. Israel is pretty laid back so I didn’t think of it as “Middle East” like I did when I packed for Jordan. It was going to be hot though, while my next destination would be cold: England. From there I’d head to Latvia early October which would be even colder I imaged. BUT then I would head to Morocco, which is Muslim and more conservative, while also hot.
It sounds like a challenge but it’s actually not that hard if you think about layers. That is key!
So, I start with pants/trousers. I packed:
- 1 pair of jean shorts / 1 pair of suede lace up shorts
- 2 leather skirts
- 3 pairs of Topshop Jamie jeans (blue/black ripped/green)
Once I had it laid out, I decided I didn’t need the pink skirt and took it out. Normally I wouldn’t travel with more than 1 pair of jeans, but thought with England and Latvia being cold I might need them so I don’t have to keep wearing the same pair. I always thought the green ones would layer well under kaftans in Morocco.
Next I go to the tops.
I packed for tops:
- 3 black tanks, 1 white tank, 1 grey, 1 red
- 1 dressy crop top
- 2 cute tees
- 2 casual tees for travel days
- 3 long sleeve layering tops that I always travel with
So the next step is to put pants in one packing cube and tops in another! I can then look and see what I’ve got and then work out how many dresses/rompers I should take. Normally, I actually think about my outfits but on a trip this big you can’t really think that way. It’s more about mixing and matching and layering to make new outfits.
I was going to pack two jackets but in the end went just for my leather jacket and am glad I did! I could have used the other just for some change, but it wasn’t necessary.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00RET3VUG” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]UGG high top tennies[/easyazon_link] (obsessed with these)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00IUM7YK4″ locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Black Lucky Brand boots[/easyazon_link] I always travel with
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B015ZU9EUQ” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Black Sol Sana sandals[/easyazon_link] I always take
- Brown sandals
In the end this was fine although I could have fit regular flip-flops in and they would have come in handy at pools and beaches. I just went barefoot so it wasn’t an issue but I guess not everyone likes going barefoot! ;)
Swimsuits were next! I am swimwear crazy and actually wanted to take more than these 3. I brought a 1 piece because it’s good for the Dead Sea (more conservative) and it’s black which is good because the mud there stains.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00N8PGEKE” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Vitamin A bikini[/easyazon_link] This is the perfect fitting bikini!
- [easyazon_link keywords=”Maaji bikini” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Maaji colorful bikini[/easyazon_link] These are all the coolest prints and colors.
- 1 piece from L*Space I love the way this swimsuit fits.
Toiletries are the easiest bit since you know what you need! Just go through your nighttime and shower routine in your head and make sure you pack all the things you use. When I’m going long-term I just do the smaller bottles of shampoo and conditioner and buy more as I go to save weight.
Here are some things I really love though and never go without:
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00OAYFGRY” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Clinique Moisture Surge face lotion[/easyazon_link] (it’s my favorite!)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B004PBU4EC” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]It’s a 10 miracle conditioner[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000BIXP5I” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Surf Spray[/easyazon_link] (I use Bumble & Bumble or Sun Bum)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00161DDJM” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Smashbox under eye highlighter[/easyazon_link]
- 1 suede black dress for parties
- long green silk romper (on sale!)
- short cargo style romper
- 2 Free People dresses
- 2 wedding dress options because I couldn’t decide.
As I was fitting it in I remembered undies, bras, and a swimsuit coverup! It was never-ending haha! I added in
- 3 Urban bras (these kind are so tiny and comfy) & 1 of this style
- Melissa Odabash swim coverup
Lastly, time to get the purse and carry-on sorted. I used a backpack as a carry-on as I didn’t want to have to roll 2 things on public transport in Europe. It’s a pain at rush hour.
I packed a large purse for my new camera/lens as they take up a lot of space and a smaller (new) black Fossil purse which I love traveling with.
Electronics for me aren’t TOO over the top… I take my computer & charger, phone & charger, Kindle, camera, lens, extra battery, camera charging set, external hard-drive & cord, SkyRoam WiFi dongle & cord (first time using and loved it except it didn’t work in Morocco), portable charger and cord. I threw in my sunnies, a few pieces of jewelry, and headphones. I guess it does sound like a lot! But it’s not too heavy.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01JGMPM4G” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]Panasonic camera[/easyazon_link] and
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0028Y5GKK” locale=”US” tag=”Hipinhee-20″]extra wide-angle lens[/easyazon_link] (I used to do only phone pics but just got this from from my Israel posts onward you’ll see a better quality photos!) This is a top ranked camera and I chose it after a LOT of research, plus it’s damn cute with it’s tan leather hipster look hah!
Ta-da! That’s it. You can see I still have some space for shopping and lucky for me, after London I could give Ben my heels and a few dresses to take back to Goa for me.
Pin it for later:
Join my email list and get exclusive updates & news straight to your inbox.
I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Your suitcase looks so neat! I really need to invest in some packing cubes – every time I pack a suitcase I kick myself for not having them.
packing cubes are LIFE CHANGING lol!
Rachel I am just coming across your site! I can’t believe I’m just finding it. I love all your articles and can’t wait to read more.
Thanks Nancy! I’m glad you like my site :)
I know this has already been said – but your backpack is really well organised and neat!! I’m more of the “sit on the suitcase until everything fits” type… I have a lot to learn :/
haha I pack very OCD!
Im loving your blog… I’m just about to head off on my travels after a 3 year break and heading to India first :) This blog has everything i need… Thank you
Hey Rebecca, thanks so much!! I’m happy to help.